Fiona in January

Fiona in January

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 5 - Hollywood Studios

Our fifth day at Disney consisted of lunch at Epcot and then dinner at Hollywood Studios (previously called MGM). We didn't see/ride as much at Hollywood because its such a small park and there were sooooo many people, so the waits were really long.

However, Aaron talked me into riding the Tower of Terror and I have to say...it was the single most terrifying experience of my life...and when you consider all the times I've broken/sprained/mangled my body over these past 27 years...that's saying something! To be fair, it was definitely partially my fault for thinking I could handle it...even though I know I hate the sensation of falling and am terrified of elevators. It feeds into my claustrophobia...but I figured one big drop - whatever. I can handle any coaster out there and have done free-fall style swing rides, so who cares?

WRONG.

If we had purchased the horrifying photo taken of us on the ride it would have shown that I basically ripped out a patch of my husband's leg hair (I was gripping that with one hand while my other hand had a deathgrip on my seatbelt), nearly threw up on the small child seated in front of me (I had to literally swallow it down) and had my leg up and braced against the seatback in front of me in a desperate attempt to stop falling! Oh and I half-cried the whole time.

No more Tower of Terror for me.

Thankfully the delicious French lunch I ate stayed in my stomach!

So onto the food...we ate lunch at this great French restaurant over at Epcot...mostly because we couldn't find another restaurant we wanted to try at Hollywood other than where we were eating for dinner...and we had seen the restaurant earlier in our trip and wanted to try French food. Needless to say we weren't disappointed!











I was on the hunt for amazing cheese, so I had to order the "Assiette de fromages de France" (assorted cheese plate) and Aaron has never had Escargot, so he tried it...and loved it! I was in cheese heaven with an incredible goat cheese and brie...and two other cheeses I completely forget the names of...oh well, the goat cheese and brie were the best!
























We both ordered the same main course - "Plat de cote de boeuf au cabernet avec pates" (beef short ribs braised in Cabernet with pasta, pearl onions and mushrooms). It was incredible - the meat just melted in my mouth!











Before we ordered dessert, we got a visit from a furry little friend...














I was in the mood for chocolate, so I tried this absolutely incredible chocolate cake...whose french name is completely escaping me...but Aaron went with the "Crepe a la pomme et cannelle, glace vanille, caramel jus de pommes", which is a crepe filled with cinnamon, apple, vanilla ice cream and apple caramel sauce. Both were delicious and our stomachs were groaning by the time we made it out of the restaurant and back on the boat headed over to Hollywood Studios!





















After I recovered from the "incident" at the Tower of Terror, we had a great day! We ended it with a late dinner at the much-lauded Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant with incredible 5-star American cuisine. It is a meal we still talk about!

For appetizers I tried their Creamy Mushroom Soup and Aaron had the Tuna Tartare. He maintains that the Tartare was one of the most incredible and perfectly balanced dishes he's ever eaten!





















The appetizers were so delicious and beautifully presented, we couldn't wait to get our entrees! I had the Sterling Silver Pork Chop topped with smoked gouda and apricot preserve served over napa cabbage, bacon and potato hash with an apple cider jus. Aaron went for the braised Lamb Shank served over a creamy cheesy polenta. Delicious!
























After that incredible meal it was so hard to choose desserts - all of the desserts looked so tempting. We wanted to try something "different" so I went for the Grapefruit Cake, which is apparently one of their signature desserts and consisted of light layers of yellow cake with a fresh grapefruit cream cheese frosting. Aaron had their "Chocolate Three Ways", which turned out to be a dark almond buttermilk cake layered with milk chocolate truffle cream and a white chocolate chambord. Wow.





















Thank you Brown Derby for an amazing meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment