Fiona in January

Fiona in January

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Peace in the Nighttime

There are a few Bible verses that have been running through my head lately, mostly when I'm up in the wee hours of the morning feeding Baby Knives and settling her back to sleep.


I Corinthians 10:13 - No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Isaiah 26:3 - The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You.

On the surface, neither of these two passages really seem to have much to do with the unique stresses of spending 24/7 with a newborn baby, but they've really helped me gain a little perspective in the middle of the night when that baby monitor beeps and all I want to do is turn it off and pretend she isn't awake and needing attention so I can go back to sleep. 

(Note: we live in a small 2 bedroom apartment, so that wouldn't work anyway - we'd hear her without the monitor!)

My last post was about the roughest day we've had with Baby Knives since we brought her home.  Thankfully we haven't had another day like that - we've hit rough spots and her fussy time - now referred to as "the witching hour" in our house (6-10pm, in case you're wondering), but overall we've been able to keep her fed, dry and relatively happy.

Yesterday I had one of those milestone moments with her, she smiled at me!  No, not that half-smirk newborn gassy smile, but a real smile in reaction to me.  I was changing her diaper and blew a raspberry on her tummy, kissing her hands and talking to her - and she looked up, focused on me and gave me a big squinty-eyed smile!  We tried to replicate it when her daddy came home, but she was having none of it, giving him the, "I am not your trained monkey Daddy" stonefaced expression.

I can't wait til she smiles more and I can actually capture it on camera!  Until then, this is the closest I've gotten to getting her smile on camera:

No comments:

Post a Comment